Metadata: f/ 5.6, 1/20 sec, ISO 200
Baking and gardening in two consecutive posts? What?
Fear not friends, my apron still hangs in the closet and my trowel remains clean. Our "motto" at our school this year is to Shake Your Shadow: get out of your comfort zone, do something new, be something different. My comfort zone is indoors, reading with my favorite toddler, or listening to some stellar Sara B and editing pictures. My comfort zone in no way, shape, or form, includes plants. Unless I've taken pictures of them or they are illustrated in one of Lucas' books.
Enter the seed rack at Kroger. We made a seed-wreath for Lucas' school for their planting this spring, but I've never had the urge to pick-a-pack, take it home, and plant it. As I stood in the store three weeks ago, contemplating what it might be like to grow something successfully, I came up with a zillion reasons why it was a worthless endeavor. Like the unfinished projects I have laying around my house (one day I might actually finish the cross-stitched lodge I started for my mom two Christmases ago...). Or the plant in my classroom that I had to "rescue" last weekend. Or the dishes that Korey dutifully finishes every evening because I get absorbed in something else.
Domestic I am not. Loving, nurturing, careful... they're good goals that I keep up. But grow vegetables or flowers from SEEDS? You can put that pin-point somewhere in the dense forest surrounding my comfort zone.
But I thought, in true Ashley spirit, what the heck! If I mess it up, it's a $2 investment that Korey will get to add to the list of things I goofed. And we'll have something fun to look back on and giggle about when we're eating our store-bought veggies this summer.
So I chose beets. For a number of reasons, but mostly because if they fail, I'm pretty sure the boys couldn't care less if they never eat another beet in their lives. And they're apparently pretty hearty. If you're gonna take a chance, a calculated almost-fool proof one is the way to go, right? Right...
Two weeks later -- we have seedlings! Huzzah!
Which is what inspired our truth this week -- as life keeps on going, you decide in which direction you grow. My poor shadow has been through the ringer the past 8 months, but I think I've finally been able to see past the in-your-face abruptness and recognize that I choose my own direction of growth. It feels really good to feel more like myself and less like a seed on the rack.
I shall update progress as we go... you know, as we grow "beets" in Nashville. ;o)
:: Linking Up w/Other Project 52 Blogs ::


No comments:
Post a Comment