Thursday, March 29, 2012

52:11 | Balance


Metadata: f/4.5, 1/100 sec, ISO 400

It's spring-time in Tennessee!! And it's only March. :o) But it means that we're getting to sit outside in the evenings, ride bikes when we come home from school, and... clean out the winter clothes! Ahh! With spring cleaning brings spring stresses, so this truth is an especially good reminder for our family. :o)

In college, the theme of my World Literature class (and all of the pieces that we read) was: everything in moderation. The mantra sticks with me (thank you Mrs. Dr. Ruleman), and is especially apparent as a teacher and parent. Meeting a threshold of something aiming for happiness doesn't usually happen: there's never enough time, or money, or chocolate cake (never, ever enough chocolate cake). But there is always enough to bring a smile or feeling of satisfaction. And sometimes, that is enough. 

To bring it further (and especially now that the school year is almost over), families need a balance of school, work, play, and quiet time (never, ever enough sleep). I used to think that my boy needed to fulfill his curiosity all the time. He is 100% boy - all go, no quit. But there is value in sitting in quietness... spending time reading on the back porch, or just walking through the neighborhood in peace. Being able to do both makes for a more happy boy (and mom...).

Balance was also one of my goals for the school year: going home and being home -- not still at school. Though I've certainly not accomplished this everyday, there are more nights that I have no work to bring home than there are evenings I spend grading or planning. I'm still a list maker (and always will be), and getting ready for my day means an early wakeup to get a head start on lessons... but it's so much more balanced than it was in September. 

Victory lap, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment