Monday, January 9, 2012

52.1 | Believing ... defined.


Metadata: f/5, 1/5 sec, ISO 800

This quote is especially true to those of us TWC-ers that lived through the beginning of the "Believe" Era. The quote made it to the "tag" of the school (Learn, serve, lead... and Believe) and for a long time (okay, even still today) I cringe at that word. I find it random places (like under bridges or on the wall next to my classroom...) and I'm instantly transported to my senior year of college trying to figure out why in the world it was becoming the mantra of our school.

Five years later (oh wow, I'm old), I think I get it. In college, I was taught to believe. That verb means to feel sure of or accept something as true. I knew when I left Athens what it meant to believe. It's knowing with every fiber of your being that something is true. I could get into an entire discussion about the value of truth or the existence of individualistic truth (if it's true to me, does it necessarily mean that it's true to you?), but I shall leave that debate to the Dr. Roberts' out there. :o) 

Now I know what it is to actually believe in something. The vehicle is worthless if the drive has no place to go. It's only until recently that I've been able to take a step back from life and decide what it is that I truly believe in. From family truths, to learning truths, to loving truths -- all of these things that strengthen my being will find their way into this Project 52. (Click here for info about what Project 52 is, and how to join in!)

This first entry is a photograph from mine and Korey's volunteer experience with Hands on Nashville on MLK, Jr. Day. As an AmeriCorps alum and current member, we took part in this day of service by helping to spruce up the interior of one of the Metro-City Fire Departments. It was a fun (albeit busy) day and we met some great folks in our city. Our truth from this: the community members can thrive only when the community itself thrives. Sort of the "strongest as the weakest link" mentality. If those around me are not prospering how can I? And should I confuse merely surviving with prosperity? It's a personal truth, for sure. But my truth is that I exist to find ways to help others prosper - not merely survive. 

And that's the first truth I was able to realize in my journey to finding out what this whole "believe" thing was really all about. I hope you'll join me as I try to capture our truths in photos each week. :o) Happy Posting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment