Metadata: f/4.5, 1/8s, ISO 400
One thing that I am often reminded of as a Middle School teacher is that no matter what we attempt to create for our children, our job is to help them learn to create it themselves. It amazes me the things my students know (even at my school, which is for children with individualized learning needs) - and then I come home to a 2-year-old who is already out-smarting me. Lucas is learning how to rationalize and ask appropriate questions. He is able to read simple emotions on our faces. He knows how to compare two things based on his senses. He can identify his own name. And he knows where I hide the peanut butter...
As parents, we're learning how to take what he knows (which is more than we thought) and stretch it to help him grow intellectually. There are many times that I wonder how he will grow up: will he value the emotions we're teaching him this year? Will he accept the other children in his school even with their differences? Will he struggle to make friends? Will he be able to adjust to change... to shake his shadow? I can't help but believe that if we can help him build a foundation of unconditional love and support, he will be ready for whatever life might hand him. If I want to help him create a future of success, I must help him celebrate the little successes he will enjoy along the journey.
:: Linking Up w/Other Project 52 Blogs ::


No comments:
Post a Comment